Friday, April 18, 2008

Speedy and Stylish Apron


After a recent shopping trip with my friends, I was so inspired by this new fabric line, I wanted to make something that I would use all the time and could enjoy the colors. This is what I came up with. Using 4 fat quarters, a small amount of matching stripe for pockets and waistband and cute rick rack, presto: a cute apron.
This apron took me approximately 1 1/2 hours to create. It was fast and easy and fits my tall legs. How fun! I could make alot of these. I think this will be my gift for Christmas that I make for my sisters. Every year, we each make a handmade gift for each other. It is a real personal gift and we all like being creative. Last year, I chrocheted bath puffs and made homemade bath salts and placed it in an old glass bottle that I found at a craft store.
The fun thing about this apron is that it is a 'one size fits all' pattern. It is also reversable. That way, you can change your look every other day. My daughter really wants one and I think that I can downsize the pattern by using only 2 fat quarters instead of 4. She also really wants to learn how to cook. I don't know if it is because she really wants to wear an apron or what, but if it helps her learn how to cook, I am all for that.
The weather is taunting us with the hopes of Spring. I guess if it doesn't come, you can always make your little piece of the world like springtime. Enjoy!

18 comments:

Mom2fur said...

That is so cute! I never thought to combine 4 fat quarters into an apron--very clever! For your daughter, what if you were to cut the quarters in half, and still use four of them? I like the different patterns together!

The quilting nurse said...

I would still probably use 4 different fat quarter's because I like the different materials that it has. There would be enough to make another one for her friend or cousins. They are often the beneficiaries of Auntie's sewing days. Sometimes they like it, and sometimes they just lovingly smile and say thanks.

jenny said...

thats realy nice

Kathie B. said...

if this is your giveaway, count me in. it's adorable! you are soo talented.

julie said...

How cute is that apron...you are so talented! love to win!

HilLesha O'Nan said...

This is so cute! :)

Anonymous said...

I love to think back on my Mom making pies-she made the best pies!
Elaine R
emrosser@shaw.ca

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I would love to win your apron-you're much more creative than me.
Stephanie
dsmoore1@centurytel.net

Anonymous said...

That is super cute! Love the colors! My Grandma always wore an apron on Sundays! monk5@charter.net

Anonymous said...

Neat apron I would love to finally own one!

samsakara@twcny.rr.com

windycindy said...

Hello, My mother-in-law really like wearing aprons. Yours is made in lovely spring colors. The apron would be a wonderful gift for her Mother's Day gift. Please enter me in your drawing. Thanks very much, Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

holly K said...

This is so cute! My grandma has a collection of aprons and I remember several times when I was young, holding onto it while she cooked. It's quite a fond memory. Thanks you for helping me remember it! cookiecutter72 AT hotmail dot com

frugallm said...

wonderful memory of wearing aprons: My mom and I would make Christmas cookies every year and she had made us matching aprons to wear with little felt gingerbread men on them.

Katie said...

That is cute. I like that it is quick and easy to make. katie_mmartin (at) yahoo [dot] com

Karen said...

Your apron is adorable!!! Who ever came up with fat quarters was a geneious!

Thanks,
Karen

robin said...

I would love to have an apron, I am constantly getting my shirt and pants do dirty, I have taken to keeping a dishtowel on my shoulder!

Unknown said...

i love aprons, but i have never owned one!

my grandmother, mimi, used to bake when i was younger.... i don't remember her every cooking, but i know she baked, and she wore an old apron that was put together from scraps of material.

i can almost smell her kitchen!

:)

trepilynnell (at) juno (com)

Anonymous said...

i remember my great grandma wearing her pink and white striped apron in herkitchen years ago and i was thrilled when she mailed it to me years later when i started collecting them myself.